Wednesday 19 September 2018

Why Start A Blog


This is an entry for contest for bloggers.

Have you ever seen someone become very successful at something? So successful that you cannot help but wish some of it for yourself? Well, I have. I was a two hundred level university undergraduate when the blog craze hit my campus. Everyone suddenly had a blog; at least everyone I know.

There was this guy in particular, Lukman Fassasi (lukmanfassasiblog.com). His blog was very popular. I browsed through the blog and thought to myself, “Gray, you can do this!” But nah, I decided to pass.

Next thing I knew, my friend opened a blog too. He was into entertainment news/music/fashion/lifestyle. I watched in amazement as he gradually became popular too. Well, he wasn’t as popular as Lukman but that didn’t matter. That was when I decided to take the plunge

I began blogging because I wanted to be popular


If I remember correctly, I had about 30 hits on my first blog post. It was something I copied off a news website. I felt awesome. If only I knew that many people had clicked on it out of ‘sympathy’. you see, I actually shared the link with my whatsapp contacts. Well, I believed I was well on my way to fame.

My next blog post wasn’t so popular. I can’t remember exactly what it was but I am sure it wasn’t something related to entertainment. Long story short,by the fourth post, I was tired of it all. I was practically begging people to click my links. At that point, I needed another reason to continue blogging.

I continued blogging to showcase my works


Soon, I began to do flash fiction and poems. I used to share them on social media. It then occurred to me that I could be posting my works on my blog. Of course, I had to send the links to people individually but there was no rush. It wasn’t like news. It was exhibiting my art.

Soon, I began to have quite the patronage. Nothing grand, of course. But some people began to enjoy what I write. For a long time, I would have between 30 to 100 views on a post. On trending posts, I could have up to 130.

At this time, I had given up on trying to be popular. I simply needed a platform to express myself.

I blog these days for the sake of it


I no longer blog, at least not everyday. Why? I have a blog on Steemit. You know, it feels like extra work to post on Steemit and then post on my blog. I rather post on Steemit and share the link. Some people complain that they aren’t able to comment (as they aren’t Steemit users). I don’t know what to do about that.

And that’s why I started blogging (and still blog)

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment