Tuesday 4 September 2018

I Still Love You

Source


It started when Salima walked in with a smile on her face
She sat on the bed and looked me straight in the eyes
My room-mate winked and gave us the room in haste
I walked to the wall and turned my face to gaze

She wanted to start but couldn’t find the words to use
I smiled because I had stolen the words and her muse
But the smile was only a shadow of what would come
It was like soft wind and drizzle and then rainfall

“If I told you I love you, would you think I’m telling the truth?”
I wondered if she was talking to me or sending a whatsapp note
I wanted to turn to look at her but my legs had turned to ice
That itself would have been a bad idea as tears had filled my eyes

“you know why I’m here and turning away wouldn’t change it”
I turned to her, murmured and hit the wall in frustration
She smiled and stood up, picking her bag as she rose
I returned to the wall and felt her shadow coming close

I remembered a scene from the movie she had asked me to watch
The girl had turned to the guy, kissed him on the cheek and said:
“it takes an extraordinary girl to make a bad guy like you change;
I tried to break you but I only succeeded in breaking my heart.”

Just then the bathroom opened and my neighbour appeared in a towel
Salima smiled and said: “I’m not surprised. I’ve given up on you”
I turned to protest but tongue and mouth had gone on strike
“don’t bother” she said. “I’m leaving. I quit. But I still love you”

No comments:

Post a Comment